So, as you may remember, I finally have Netflix. And, I have been really enjoying it. It is a wonderful alternative to way over-priced cable, which I haven’t had since 2008.
Anyway, I thought I would share some great films and docs I’ve seen on Netflix recently. I hope you will feel free to make some recommendations to me as well.
01. The World Unseen – This is a love story set in 1950’s South Africa. It stars the amazingly beautiful Sheetal Seth (above) and Lisa Ray. It follows two ethnically Indian, South African women as they deal with the restrictions and abuses of apartheid while developing a special friendship.
02. El Infierno – This is a Mexican gangster film with a lot of twists and turns. For some reason this film is marketed as a comedy but it is decidedly not. There are funny situations but this is a film about Narcos, Mexico’s political corruption and love. Warning, it is very violent. And the film is in Spanish so there are subtitles.
03. Carrier – This is a series about life on board a naval aircraft carrier. It follows a number of different sailors and aviators throughout their time at sea. The series is very honest and doesn’t pull any punches about life in the navy or on board a carrier. The series is definitely not a recruitment project.
04. ESPN Films: Unguarded – This documentary is part of ESPN’s 30 for 30 series on different sports topics. This particular one is about former pro basketball player Chris Herren and his struggles with substance abuse. The feature documents his rise as a high school star and his troubled college and pro careers.
05. Religulous – I’m not really a Bill Maher fan. In fact I think most times he’s a somewhat racist idiot. But, he hits it out of the park in his documentary about questioning the worlds religions. Maher travels around the U.S. and world asking religious people, scholars and clergy about their faith, religious teachings and much more. If you are religious and are easily hurt by people who question religion and religious faith then this isn’t the doc for you. But, if you have an open mind and want to learn a thing or three about religion then this is a great doc to see.
I hope you get a chance to check out these films. If you do please let me know what you thought of them And, I hope you have some Netflix film recommendations for me as well.