.Here are 10 things that are on my mind this week
10. – Race car driver Danica Patrick will race this weekend at the Daytona 500. She won the pole position last weekend by having the fastest lap at time trials for the race. The media has been doing lots of reports this week on her. And, those reports got me thinking about how astoundingly over-covered by the media she is considering she’s one of the suckiest race car drivers in the sport. She’s never won a race. Heck, she’s never even come in second or even third.
And, despite her suckiness, she is one of the highest profile racers in the sport. (Is race car driving a sport?) Not since Michelle Wie conned the media and Nike into thinking she was a great golfer has anyone with such a crappy record of achievement in sports achieved so much notoriety.
09. – Robin Roberts went back to work this week at ABC’s Good Morning America. As you know she’s been out sick for the past several months. I’m just wondering, amid all the fanfare of her return, has she come back too soon?
Whatever the case, Robin looks great and she is so brave and a wonderful role model.
08. – I have a friend on facebook who messaged me this week. She was upset. She went on to say that she was hurt that I never seemed to “Like” any of the stuff she posts.
So, I thought about how to respond to her. Basically should I be honest or make something up to be nice. I decided to be honest.
I told her that I never “Like” any one of her posts because I ‘hide’ her posts from my feed because I got fed up with all the kittens, cute babies and sayings and quotes she posts.
And she posts a stunning number of those things every single day! When I go on facebook I hate when my feed is clogged with all that junk. I just want my news and status reports from friends. That’s it.
Her response was to not understand how anyone wouldn’t want to see those types of things. She said they were inspirational and she just wanted to make everyone’s day better by posting them. And she went on and on about how much inspirational sayings and quotes help her get through the day.
I realize now I should have just said that I loved her posts and just didn’t take the time to “Like” them. Sigh. We went back and forth until somehow she convinced me to ‘unhide’ her posts and to take the time to “really see them”.
Yep, I should have lied.
06. – It’s really interesting to me how much the media has been covering the story about South African track athlete Oscar Pistorius (allegedly) murdering his girlfriend. They have been covering it everyday since it happened. And that’s really interesting since the media seemingly can only find the time to cover the violence in Chicago every few months or so.
As you probably know by now my favorite film genre is coming of age films. And “Yelling To The Sky” falls in that category. Zoë plays a 17 year-old named “Sweetness”, who suffers living in a home with an abusive father and a mentally ill mother. The film follows her as she tries to navigate school, being bullied by neighborhood kids and dealing with her parents.
Zoë was really good in her role and I really liked the film, although I felt the resolution was just a teensy bit contrived. The film is from 2011, so I’m sure it’s on Netflix and dvd. If you check it out, as always, please let me know what you thought of it.
04. – Have you had Challah bread? It’s so good!
03. – You guys know I crush a lot, right. So, guess who I’m crushing on now. Ready? Tamar Braxton! I know, I know, she’s a little loud but, she’s so cute. This is my guilty pleasure crush. 🙂
Check out her latest song, “Love and War“.
02. – I went bike riding this week. Have you ever gone bike riding and enjoyed it so much that you didn’t pay attention to how far away from home you rode? I did. Lol. And it was no fun riding all the way back home! I’ll never let that happen again.
01. – Ak is going on tour soon. And, Miguel is going to be opening for her! The only thing is the venue she’s playing is huge and I hate crowds. I’m going to have to decide if I’m going to brave the crowd or wait to see her at a smaller venue.
What’s on your mind this week?
Do you think I ought to brave the crowd to see AK?
What do you think of my thoughts for the week?