I think New Year’s resolutions have become somewhat outdated. Not because they aren’t a good thing but moreso because almost no one actually follows through on them.
So, rather than make any New Year’s resolutions per se I thought I would just list thirteen things that I would be interested in doing this year. I know, I know. Kind of the same thing, right?
13. Take flying lessons again – I’ve been taking flying lessons since forever. My problem has been that I have moved a lot in the past. And once I moved I would sort of forget about flying lessons. Then I’d remember but soon after I’d move again. And so on. So since I’ve been here for a while I think I’d like to get back to it. I hope this isn’t a sign that I’m going to be moving soon. 🙂
12. Find a new job – Due to budgetary cutbacks most of the people at my job work from home, including me. At first I was really excited about working from home. There are a lot of benefits to it for sure. I can work in the middle of the night, for instance. I can multitask and cook while I work. And there are many other things that make working from home a nice thing. But, there are drawbacks as well. The main one being working alone. I miss the office environment. I miss the social aspect of working. So I’ve been thinking about switching careers. I’m not sure what I’d want to do. I don’t think I would want to work in the same field. Maybe I’ll get back into media. I worked as a radio announcer for a while and I really liked it. Maybe I’ll try that?
11. Rail trip – Most of you know I love travelling by rail. There is just no better way to travel. I’ve already travelled by rail across this country so I’d like to plan a trip in another country. Probably Canada. They have a great rail system there called Via. Just thinking about it is relaxing me.
10. Garden – I have been wanting to plant a garden for a while now. I have a yard now so I don’t have any excuses not to. I’m not sure what I’d want to grow. Most likely a few basics like cauliflower, lettuce, heirloom tomatoes and broccoli. If I start planning now I’ll be ready for spring!
09. Photography – I’ve always been interested in photography. I’ve just never taken the time to learn the basics. I’d really like to take a very basic course.
07. Concerts – I have been really wanting to see concerts of late. There have been some really great artists in concert in my area recently and I have always found excuses not to go. I’m going to stop making excuses and start going! AK concert here I come!
06. Walk – I love to walk. But, the area that I live in is not very visually appealing to me. It’s a nice area but I live in a sleepy little town that pretends that it isn’t. The architecture is very uninspiring, there are way to many hills, there aren’t any real parks and there’s no place to walk and window shop. There is a neighboring city that is one of the best cities for walking in the world. And I need to make the effort to go there and take long walks.
05. Write – I’d love to write a book of very, very short stories. Mysteries possibly. Or maybe love stories. I need to dedicate time and get to work!
03. Sightseeing – I live near a world class city with world class sights to see and I’ve seen almost none of the sights. That is a shame and it needs to change.
02. Reading – Last year I read less than I have in years. I’m not sure why. Maybe I was a bit burned out? Anyway, I have a few stacks of books to read and another stack on my Amazon wishlist. So I need to start reading again!
01. Have lot’s more fun!
What things would you like to do in 2013?